This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to operate a portal boom crane mounted on a portal frame, which is supported on runways along which the crane may travel, for licensing purposes.
This course requires the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, transfer loads, mobile load and shut down and secure the crane.
This course is based on the requirements of the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Plan work
- Conduct routine checks
- Transfer load
- Mobile load
- Shut down and secure crane
- Operate a portal boom crane
- Apply risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- Use and interpret crane manufacturer's specifications and data,
- Verify problems and equipment faults and demonstrate appropriate response procedures
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation of loads
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice
- Understanding of the hierarchy of hazard identification and control
- Organisational and workplace standards, requirements, policies and procedures
- Portal boom crane characteristics and capabilities
- Procedures for the recording, reporting and maintenance of workplace records and information
- Rated capacity and working load limits
- Typical routine problems encountered in the operation of the crane and equipment and adjustments required for correction
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville28-30 Bowen Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.