This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to operate a tower crane for licensing purposes, and covers a jib or boom/job crane mounted on a tower structure, demountable or permanent, including both horizontal and luffing jib types. This unit does not cover self-erecting tower cranes.
This course requires the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, transfer loads and shut down and secure the crane.
This course is based on the requirements of the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Plan work
- Conduct routine checks
- Transfer load
- Shut down and secure crane
- Operation of a tower crane for the lifting and moving of loads
- Risk assessment and hazard control strategies
- Use and interpretation of crane manufacturer's specifications and data
- Verifying problems and equipment faults and demonstrating appropriate response procedures
- Ability to read and comprehend manufacturer's instructions, procedures and safety signs
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation of loads
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice relevant to the full range of processes for the crane class
- Organisational and workplace standards, requirements, policies and procedures for conducting operations for the crane class
- Understanding of the hierarchy of hazard identification and control
- Procedures for the recording, reporting and maintenance of workplace records and information
- Tower crane characteristics and capabilities to allow the operation of the crane to suit the range of loads
- Rated capacity and working load limits (including use of crane load charts)
- Typical routine problems encountered in the operation of the crane and equipment and adjustments required for correction.
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville327 Bayswater Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.