This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to operate an advanced boiler, including a standard boiler. Operation includes boiler start up, handover, monitoring, shut down and storage. Also covered are preparation for inspection procedures as specified in manufacturer recommendations, identification of maintenance requirements and relevant risk control measures.
The boilers covered by this course are standard boilers and advanced boilers, including boilers defined in AS 2593:2004 Safety management and supervision systems and AS 3873:2001 Pressure equipment – Operation and maintenance and typically have a modulating combustion air supply and heat source.
This course is based upon the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Plan work
- Start up boiler
- Monitor boiler operation
- Shut down boiler
- Store boiler in shut down mode
- Complying with legislation, Australian Standards, organisational workplace standards, policies, relevant codes of practice, and required safe practices and procedures for planning work, starting and monitoring a boiler, and shutting down and storing an advanced boiler
- Performing routine safety and operational procedures
- Reading and interpreting maintenance records, operating logs and safety data sheets (SDS)
- Communicating faults, malfunctions and workplace hazards accurately to appropriate personnel using suitable communication techniques
- Accurately completing reports, operational records and maintenance information in relation to advanced boiler operation
- Applying task instructions
- Using relevant tools, equipment and personal protection clothing safely
- Interpreting advanced boiler operation tables and figures
- Applying advanced boiler testing techniques and adjusting boiler water quality
- Verifying any problems and boiler faults, demonstrating appropriate response procedures
- Applying appropriate risk assessment and risk management techniques
- Demonstrating emergency operating procedures
- Identifying all boiler energy sources required to be isolated and made safe for maintenance, inspection and repairs
- Applying advanced boiler cleaning and storage techniques
- Commonwealth, state and territory work health and safety (WHS) legislation, standards, codes of practice and advisory standards relevant to boiler operation
- Basic principles of heat transfer and thermodynamics in relation to boiler operations
- Boiler and steam equipment operating principles and operating methods
- Hierarchy of risk control
- Type and limitations of corrective action and/or adjustments that can be made in response to routine boiler operation problems and emergencies
- Various harmful energy sources in boiler operation and the means to effectively isolate these energy sources and make them safe, with particular consideration to advanced boilers
- Modes of standard and advanced boiler storage and procedures for storing boiler in open or closed condition
- SDS and safe chemical handling and storage methods for boiler operation and cleaning
- Procedures for cleaning boilers internally and externally, including advanced
- Procedures for recording, reporting and maintenance of workplace records and information
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville28-30 Bowen Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.