This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to demonstrate the use of portable fire extinguishers, fire hose reels and fire blankets.
This unit of competency supports fire protection equipment service technicians responsible for demonstrating to customers how to interpret and follow manufacturers’ instructions on various first attack firefighting equipment in emergency situations.
- Demonstrate correct use of portable fire extinguishers to extinguish simulated fires.
- Demonstrate correct use of fire hose reels.
- Demonstrate correct use of fire blanket.
- Decision-making skills to select correct first attack firefighting equipment for different types of fires
- Applying recommended manufacturers’ techniques for operating equipment and fire fighting
- Using firefighting equipment
- Basic methods of locating a fire
- Correct use of fire extinguishers and hose reels on different classes of fire and implications of incorrect use
- How fire can be spread by conduction, convection, radiation and direct burning
- How water pressure influences the discharge distance for hose reels
- Theory of fire, including the triangle of combustion
- Types and operation of fire protection equipment classified as first attack equipment
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville28-30 Bowen Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.