This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required in relation to the testing of the working atmosphere to determine if it is safe for the proposed work. Testing involves the use of electronic test apparatus.
In a typical scenario an individual may be required to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace. This course trains personnel in the interpretation of readings and the taking of related actions based on the readings.
- Prepare for gas testing
- Test gas
- Maintain equipment
- Read and interpret a meter and then communicate the conclusions.
- Interpretation and communication of results of sampling.
- Common chemical asphyxiants, including hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, and hydrogen sulphide
- Common irritants and corrosives, including chlorine, ammonia and acid bases
- Common flammable gases, including acetylene, petroleum, methane, ethane, propane and butane
- Narcotics (explosive range, upper and lower explosive limits)
- Exposure standards (time weighted average, short term exposure limits, peak limitation values, examination of toxic effect at the level of a range of flammable gases)
- Conditions under which atmospheres become hazardous
- Units of measurement used to express concentration of atmospheric contaminants (mg/cubic m. ppm, % v/v).
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville28-30 Bowen Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.