This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge associated with the operation and maintenance of breathing apparatus equipment in an irrespirable atmosphere.
This competency applies to operators who are required to wear breathing apparatus for part of their job - because they are working in a confined space, with hazardous gases/vapours, in an anoxic atmosphere or for other applications requiring the wearing of breathing apparatus. They may also be required to wear it in emergency situations, however this is not the prime focus of this unit, and so makes this unit different from PUAFIR207A Operate breathing apparatus open circuit, as it has no prerequisite and is much broader in its application.
This unit requires the ability to interpret any permits or other documentation associated with the wearing of breathing apparatus for the job.
- Conduct pre-donning checks and tests on breathing apparatus
- Operate breathing apparatus
- Conclude operations
- Operating breathing apparatus
- Use of procedures, personal lines and tallies
- Pre-use tests and checks
- Breathing apparatus control, including principles of BA Control, organisation procedures, Stage 1 (one entry point), Stage 2 (multiple entry points), entry/exit control point, entry/exit control officer, timing device
- Respiratory system, effects of irrespirable atmospheres on the body, protective equipment
- Characteristics, component parts, operation of compressed air breathing apparatus
- Operational testing, standard operating procedures and safe work practices when wearing breathing apparatus
- Entrapment procedures
- Inspecting, donning, operating in, removal, cleaning, maintaining and returning to operational status of breathing apparatus.
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville28-30 Bowen Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.