This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to perform slinging techniques, including the selection and inspection of lifting gear and/or the directing of the crane operator in the movement of the load when the load is out of view of the crane/ operator for licensing purposes.
This course covers the scope of work to demonstrate competency in the application of slinging techniques, selection and inspection of lifting gear and/or the directing of the crane/ operator in the movement of the load.
This course is based upon the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
This course is offered by WorkSafe Connect to corporate clients for a group of students. We do not currently offer this course to individuals as part of our public course offering.
- Plan job
- Select and inspect equipment
- Prepare site and equipment
- Perform task
- Shutdown job and clean up
- Communication techniques in the workplace including whistles, hand signals and use of fixed channel two-way radios
- Calculate rated capacity of lifting equipment
- Ability to interpret rated capacity and working load limit tags
- Hazard identification and control
- Slinging techniques
- Selection and inspection of lifting equipment
- Directing crane operators in the moving of loads in a safe manner, using a slewing crane
- Inspection and care of a wide range of lifting equipment to appropriate Australian Standards and/or manufacturer's specifications.
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation and measurement of loads
- Basic knowledge of types of cranes and their functions
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice relevant to the full range of techniques for undertaking dogging activities
- Load stability and safety factors in line with manufacturer's specifications
- Understanding of the hierarchy of control
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville327 Bayswater Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.