This course is designed to ensure that participants have the skills and knowledge required to perform slinging techniques, including the selection and inspection of lifting gear and/or the directing of the crane operator in the movement of the load when the load is out of view of the crane/ operator for licensing purposes.
This course covers the scope of work to demonstrate competency in the application of slinging techniques, selection and inspection of lifting gear and/or the directing of the crane/ operator in the movement of the load.
This course is based upon the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.
- Plan job
- Select and inspect equipment
- Prepare site and equipment
- Perform task
- Shutdown job and clean up
- Communication techniques in the workplace including whistles, hand signals and use of fixed channel two-way radios
- Calculate rated capacity of lifting equipment
- Ability to interpret rated capacity and working load limit tags
- Hazard identification and control
- Slinging techniques
- Selection and inspection of lifting equipment
- Directing crane operators in the moving of loads in a safe manner, using a slewing crane
- Inspection and care of a wide range of lifting equipment to appropriate Australian Standards and/or manufacturer's specifications.
- Appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation and measurement of loads
- Basic knowledge of types of cranes and their functions
- WHS legislation, standards and codes of practice relevant to the full range of techniques for undertaking dogging activities
- Load stability and safety factors in line with manufacturer's specifications
- Understanding of the hierarchy of control
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
If you're studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you are required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
Your USI links to an online account that contains all your training records and results that you have completed from 1 January 2015 onwards and without this number we cannot issue you your statement of attainment.
If you do not already have a USI please click on the following link to create one.
It is a straight forward process to complete this online and you will require a Driver's Licence, Medicare Card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate to proceed.
BrisbaneBuilding, Room 1.02 - Evans Deakin Room
Construction Training Centre
460-492 Beaudesert Road
Townsville28-30 Bowen Road
WorkSafe Connect delivers remote and onsite training, assessment and verification of competencies for high risk and industrial courses.